Webvent

Finding Time to be a Leader

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:00am - 11:00am EST  
Host: Association for Talent Development
By: Mark Murphy, Leadership IQ

The scarcest resource a leader has is time (not money, people, or influence). This is why the top frustrations of leaders are typically: not having enough time, struggling to balance priorities, not being proactive enough, and spending too much time doing work that someone else should be doing.


There are four kinds of work that consume leaders’ time: green light, yellow light, orange light, and red light work. But only green light work will make you an effective leader.


Green light work is the work you’re uniquely qualified to do. It’s why the organization hired you and it absolutely has to be done. And it’s the work that propels you toward your goals. But for the average leaders, less than 30 percent of their week is spent on green light work. The other 70 percent of their time is spent on yellow, orange, and red light work—a range of activities including those that should be delegated to others, all the way to completely wasteful (like useless meetings and rework).


This 60-minute teleconference and webinar, “Finding the Time to Be a Leader,” will show you how to discover your own personal green light work and give you tactics for shedding all the yellow, orange, and red light work that is misusing (or wasting) your time, hurting your leadership effectiveness, and stopping you from hitting all your goals.


Here are just a few highlights of what you’ll take away from this program:
• How to distinguish between green, yellow, orange, and red light work and how to organize your email inbox to reflect the four kinds of work.
• Which of your yellow, orange, and red light activities should be delegated versus eliminated, and learn how to overcome the psychological barriers to delegating (including ego, doubt, and competence).
• Identify the top 10 time wasters for leaders, shorten meetings with a three-part Meeting Achievement Checklist, and avoid checking up on employees by clarifying work assignments—all of which will save you time.
• How to create a Personal Leadership Strategic Plan so you can see exactly what you need to accomplish in the upcoming days, weeks, and months. Then take it one step further and schedule each day for optimal productivity.
• How to use a Manager for a Day program to give yourself an extra set of hands (and also develop the future leader talent pool below you).
• The one question you need to ask yourself every morning that prioritizes and focuses your day—and ensures you don’t leave the office asking yourself, “Did I really get anything done today?”
 

MEMBER-ONLY
Registration

This Webcast is available only to members.   Sign in if you are a member.   Learn more about becoming a member.

This Webcast has ended, but you can view its content in the archive below.
Archive

Please register above to view this Webcast.

Presenter

Mark Murphy
Mark Murphy

Leadership IQ

An expert in aligning goals and people to create thriving organizations, Mark leads one of the world’s largest studies on leadership and employee engagement.

Mark’s award-winning work has been featured numerous times in publications including the Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Forbes, Bloomberg Businessweek, and the Washington Post. His media appearances include CBS News Sunday Morning, ABC’s 20/20, Fox’s Business News, and NPR. Mark has lectured at Harvard Business School, Yale University, University of Rochester, and University of Florida.

Mark is the author of five books, including the McGraw-Hill international bestsellers, Hundred Percenters: Challenge Your People to Give It Their All and They’ll Give You Even More and Hard Goals. Mark’s most recent book, Hiring for Attitude, reflects the team’s latest research and insight into how hiring decisions can align with engagement goals and culture characteristics.

Leadership IQ’s turnaround, culture change, and performance enhancement through employee engagement work has been recognized in a diverse set of industries including healthcare, financial services, energy, manufacturing, logistics, and hospitality. From his roots as a turnaround specialist, Mark created Leadership IQ to address problems in performance before they hit the bottom line.
 


Invite Others

Enter email addresses of people you want to invite, separated by commas.